Senior / Principal Mechanical Engineer
Senior / Principal Mechanical Engineer
Locations – West Midlands
Work Base: Split (Home, Office or Site) – Remote working with some client office and client site visits.
Qualifications & Professional Memberships
- An industry applicable BEng, BSc, or equivalent in a mechanical discipline.
- Chartered Engineer or ready and able to progress to Chartered status would be an advantage. · DSEAR trained would be an advantage.
- Driving licence.
Our client, a specialist Engineering Consultancy that operates in the Water, Environment and Power sectors, are seeking a Senior or Principal Mechanical Engineer to join our Engineering Team where you would deal directly with internal and external clients across the water, wastewater, bioresources, and occasionally industrial sectors. Culturally they share a set of values, beliefs, attitudes, and behaviours that create a family-like environment within the workplace
- Experience and understanding of water and sewage treatment processes and the equipment/system requirements.
- Ability to generate innovative and/or technically differentiated solutions to problems, to deliver added value for clients.
- Experience and expertise in the production of hydraulic calculations including but not limited to pipelines, pump duties, screens installations.
- Understanding of DSEAR, CDM, WIMES, British and European Standards and other statutory, regulatory, and non-regulatory provisions and guidance.
- Ability to produce clear concise drawings and sketches both hand-drawn and using propriety packages, and to manage a CAD resource to produce engineering drawings.
- Commercial and contractual awareness.
- Desire to understand and promote the Company purpose, vision, values, and culture.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft (Office) 365 package.
The engineering services we offer to our clients require us to be able to deliver in an agile way. The following are therefore examples of the type of skills and qualities we need you to have or be working towards:
- Recognition that satisfying the customer is the key to achieving other objectives, and that customers include everyone receiving benefits from our processes, whether end-users or other departments within the company.
- Ability to work remotely whilst successfully achieving deliverable-based outcomes through a virtual team.
- Ability to prioritise a varied workload and demonstrate good time management to comply with deadlines.
- Organised, structured and professional, with a passion for excellence.
- Encouraging and motivating those around you to work to your own high standards of quality and compliance.
- Capacity and willingness to lead and mentor more junior colleagues.
- Being driven to stretch yourself and work outside of your comfort zone when the need arises with a “can do” attitude, willingness to work through problems and make decisions.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with colleagues and clients.
- Good interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Trustworthy and ethical approach, exercising discretion where required.
- Site surveys and assessments of the capacity of the plant to meet future demands.
- Feasibility, outline, and detailed mechanical design, including P&IDs, hydraulic de-sign, design risk assessments, control philosophies, commissioning strategies, cost and programme estimations, plant and equipment specifications and carbon calculations.
- Technical report writing at all stages of the project lifecycle.
- Liaison with clients within the UK.
- Production of general arrangement drawings and detail mechanical design drawings.
- Support and/or lead bids, fee proposals or offers of service; development of activity schedules/work plans.
- Participation in Hazard Studies including HAZOP, Access, Lifting and Maintenance.
- Development of standard and bespoke design solutions for the water industry and beyond.
- Check and review calculations and reports prepared by others.
Considering CAPEX and OPEX implications of design decisions at all stages of a project.